Each of the AMP SoCal’s focus areas, or “pillars” work together to form a cohesive industrial ecosystem. There are six Pillar Committees organized to fully represent and strengthen the Southern California aerospace and defense cluster. AMP SoCal’s goal is to identify and address gaps within the six pillars so that the aerospace and defense manufacturing network as a whole is strengthened throughout the 10 county region in Southern California.
Each of the committees are led by a member of the Executive Council. They generally meet monthly via conference call. Their meetings help guide the direction of AMP SoCal by forming goals and lending expertise in their respective area of focus.
Pillar Committee meets every 4th Thursday of the month, 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM
This committee focuses on closing the skills gap within the manufacturing industry through innovative approaches to workforce development. Upcoming goals for the committee include creating an implementation plan to create or support existing initiatives that address:
- Integrating more STEM education and manufacturing career awareness in Junior High School
- Improving the ability for small-medium manufacturing businesses to be able to train existing employees
- Ongoing support of existing initiatives, such as the Aero-Flex Program and the Uniquely Abled Academy
This committee focuses on addressing inefficiencies and improving the supply chain within the aerospace & defense industry. Upcoming goals for the committee include:
- Outreach to suppliers in the region to let them know about existing resources, particularly in workforce development
- Sharing of manufacturing supply chain best practices
Pillar Committee meets every 4th Tuesday of the month, 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM
This committee focuses on connecting manufacturers with new technology and university resources. Upcoming goals for the committee include:
- Organizing quarterly Innovation Forum events
- Identifying funding opportunities through NSF
- Increase interactions between universities and innovators at small and medium A&D companies.
Pillar Committee meets every 4th Friday of the month, 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM
This committee focuses on improving the infrastructure throughout the Southern California region to better accommodate the industry and help it grow. Upcoming goals for the committee include:
- Bring new funding to support A&D industry
- Support regional incubator, accelerator, and makerspace activities focused on A&D
- Focus on training and prototyping facilities for manufacturers
Pillar Committee meets every 3rd Friday of the month, 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM
This committee focuses on educating manufacturers about exporting opportunities and helping businesses align with foreign markets. Upcoming goals for the committee include:
- Support A&D companies with new exports to Mexico.
- Support regional A&D trade and foreign direct investment activities.
This committee focuses on educating businesses on grant opportunities and other means of financial access. It also partners with organizations on lean manufacturing programs so the A&D industry and its supply chain can continue to grow and develop. Upcoming goals for the committee include:
- Participate in trade shows and conduct outreach to A&D companies regarding available resources
- Help companies access new capital to improve operations.
*Hold one joint Pillar Committee meeting.