The following is a selection of recent announcements gleaned from various federal sources and colleagues, and is provided to EDA’s Economic Development Integrators to increase our awareness of complementary resources for economic development. Special thanks to ETA and other federal partners for sharing content included below.
Also visit the following links on our updated EDI webpages at www.eda.gov/edi for additional information about federal resources that are available to support comprehensive regional economic development strategies, including:
- Federal Assistance for Economic Development
- Tools and Other Resources for Economic Development Integration
- Economic and Community Development Networks and Partners
Click here to view all weekly federal announcement posts.
- Funding & Resource Announcements. 2
- Announcements of Federal Funding & Assistance Available: 2
- Infrastructure. 2
- International Trade and Export Assistance. 2
- Rural Development. 3
- Federal Funding Opportunities Closing Soon: 3
- Recently Announced Awards: 4
- Public Meetings, Events and Training. 5
- Oct 4 Opportunity Zones Webinar: Mission Investors Exchange. 5
- NEW Manufacturing Day (October 5). 6
- NEW NIST MEP Manufacturing Infographics. 6
- NEW Broadband USA Schedules November and December Webinars: 6
- Also Upcoming: 6
- NADO 2018 Annual Training Conference(October 13- 16, 2018, Charlotte NC). 6
- VIEW DETAILS at. 6
- University Economic Development Association Summit (October 21 – 24. 7
- NTIA Broadband Summit on October 30 (Roanoke, VA). 7
- National League of Cities’ City Summit (November 7 -10. 7
- Association of Public & Land Grant Universities’ Annual Meeting. 7
- Reports, Tools and Data. 7
- NEW Highlights Available from 2018 SelectUSA Investment Summit. 7
- NEW DOL America’s Promise Grants: New Infographic Available. 7
- DOL’s ETA Announces List of Labor Surplus Areas for Fiscal Year 2019. 7
- Department of Labor Announces Launch of Apprenticeship.gov to feature Apprenticeship Finder Tool and Other Resources. 8
- Disaster Recovery Resources & Info. 8
- Where to Find Federal Disaster Declarations. 8
- Amended Declarations. 8
- Funding Assistance for Recovery Efforts: 8
- U.S. Department of Labor Stands Ready to Assist States Impacted by Hurricane Florence. 8
- Hurricane Florence: Employment, Wages, and Establishment Counts in Flood Zones. 8
- HUD Announces Expedited Process for Review of Requests from Presidentially-Declared Major Disaster Declarations. 9
- Sign Up for USDA Assistance for Agricultural Producers Affected by 2017 Hurricanes and Wildfires by Nov 16 9
- EDA Has Supplemental Funding Available for Areas Impacted by 2017 Hurricanes, Wildfires and Other Disasters 9
- NEW Florida Launches Rebuild Florida. 9
- Economic Recovery Support. 10
Funding & Resource Announcements
Announcements of Federal Funding & Assistance Available:
USDA FY19 Rural Energy for America Program (REAP) – Small Grant Applications Due Oct 31
USDA’s Rural Business-Cooperative Service is soliciting applications for financial assistance under Rural Energy for America Program (REAP). REAP offers funding assistance through grants and guaranteed loans to agricultural producers and rural small businesses to purchase and install renewable energy systems and make energy efficiency improvements to their operations. Visit USDA’s website for more information: https://www.rd.usda.gov/programs-services/rural-energy-america-program-renewable-energy-systems-energy-efficiency
International Trade and Export Assistance
International Trade Administration Publishes Schedule for Trade Missions in 2019
The International Trade Administration has published the schedule for a number of upcoming trade missions in 2019. ITA outlines these missions in the September 25 FEDERAL REGISTER: https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2018-09-25/pdf/2018-20805.pdf
For purposes of assessing participation fees, the Department of Commerce defines Small and Medium Sized Enterprises (SME) as a firm with 500 or fewer employees or that otherwise qualifies as a small business under SBA regulations (see http://www.sba.gov/services/contractingopportunities/sizestandardstopics/index.html). Parent companies, affiliates, and subsidiaries will be considered when determining business size. Additional information about each mission can be found at http://export.gov/trademissions).
FY 2019 Appropriation for the Appalachian Regional Commission
The Presidentially approved Fiscal Year 2019 Energy and Water Appropriations Act includes $165 million for Appalachian Regional Commission. This is the largest appropriation for ARC’s non-highway work in the agency’s history. The legislation includes:
- $73 million for ARC’s base program.
- $50 million for the POWER program of special assistance to coal-impacted communities.
- $16 million for a program of workforce and industrial site development focused primarily on the automotive and aviation sectors in South and South Central Appalachia.
- $16 million for a program of basic infrastructure improvements in distressed counties in Central Appalachia.
- $10 million to continue a program of broadband deployment in distressed counties in Central Appalachia.
President Trump signed the bill into law on September 21, 2018. Funding opportunities will be posted here as they become available and are announced by ARC.
Federal Funding Opportunities Closing Soon:
Below is a list of previously highlighted funding opportunities that are still open. Enter the Opportunity Number in Grants.gov to see announcement details. You can also search Grants.gov for a full list of current federal opportunities, including programs not listed below.
|Opportunity Number||Opportunity Title||Agency||Posted Date||Close Date|
|EDAP2018||FY 2018 Economic Development Assistance Programs. Application submission and program requirements for EDA’s Public Works and Economic Adjustment Assistance programs||DOC-EDA||07/02/2018|
|FOA-ETA-18-08||Scaling Apprenticeship Through Sector-Based Strategies||DOL-ETA||07/18/2018||10/16/2018|
|NOAA-NMFS-SE-2019-2005794||FY 2019 Marine Fisheries Initiative (MARFIN)||DOC||08/22/2018||10/23/2018|
|USDA-NIFA-SBIR-006649||Small Business Innovation Research Program Phase I Fiscal Year 2019||USDA-NIFA||07/23/2018||10/25/2018|
|IGSM-FY19||Inspire! Grants for Small Museums||IMLS||08/16/2018||11/01/2018|
|AAHC-FY19||Museum Grants for African American History & Culture||IMLS||08/16/2018||11/01/2018|
|2018-09||Agricultural Trade Promotion Program||USDA-FAS-OTP||08/31/2018||11/02/2018|
|RDBCP-DHCS-2018||Delta Health Care Service Grant Program||USDA-RBCS||09/07/2018||11/19/2018|
|18-598||Big Data Regional Innovation Hubs||NSF||09/20/2018||12/18/2018|
Recently Announced Awards:
NEW Department of Labor Awards Nearly $1.5 M to Help Women Enter Apprenticeships
The U.S. Department of Labor has awarded nearly $1.5 million to help recruit, train, and retain more American women in quality pre-apprenticeship and apprenticeship programs, and pursue careers in manufacturing, infrastructure, and cybersecurity, among other industries. The Women in Apprenticeship and Nontraditional Occupations (WANTO) grants announced today help expand pathways for American women to excel in the workplace. The grantees are:
- Aroostook County (Maine) Action Program, Inc. ($354,941)
- Chicago Women in Trades ($398,971)
- Community Services Agency Metropolitan Washington, DC, AFL-CIO ($297,432)
- Vermont Works for Women ($351,846)
The grants are administered by the Department’s Women’s Bureau and the Employment and Training Administration. Visit the Women’s Bureau for more information.
NEW DOL Awards $110M in Grants to Prepare Americans for Work in High-Growth Industries
The U.S. Department of Labor announced nearly $110 million in Trade and Economic Transition Dislocated Worker Grants (DWGs) for state, tribal, and non-profit entities that are working in collaboration with community partners and local Workforce Development Boards to prepare Americans for professions in high-growth employment sectors.
Supported by the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act of 2014, Dislocated Worker Grants temporarily expand the service capacity of dislocated worker training and employment programs at the state and local levels by providing funding assistance. An “economic transition,” as defined in Training and Employment Guidance Letter (TEGL) No. 2-18, is a far-reaching economic or workforce trend or event, beyond the operating conditions of one employer, which has caused significant worker dislocations in a stated geographic area.
Public Meetings, Events and Training
Oct 4 Opportunity Zones Webinar: Mission Investors Exchange
Join Mission Investors Exchange on Thursday, October 4, 2018 at 3 PM ET for a webinar, “Opportunity Zones: A Dispatch from the Field” for the latest. This 75-minute live webinar will be moderated by Fran Seegull, Executive Director of the U.S. Impact Investing Alliance. The webinar will highlight how industry leaders are using their clout to shape legislation, champion communities they care about and hold the line on impact integrity and inclusion in a rapidly changing regulatory environment. Registration: https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/8802013185807671555?source=Email+9%2F12
NEW Manufacturing Day (October 5)
Manufacturing Day addresses common misperceptions about manufacturing by giving manufacturers an opportunity to open their doors and show, in a coordinated effort, what manufacturing is — and what it isn’t.
By working together during and after MFG DAY, manufacturers will begin to address the skilled labor shortage they face, connect with future generations, take charge of the public image of manufacturing, and ensure the ongoing prosperity of the whole industry.
MFG DAY is now produced annually by the National Association of Manufacturers (NAM) with key contributions and support from the MEP and the Manufacturing Institute.
To find a Manufacturing Day event, visit: https://www.mfgday.com/events/
NEW NIST MEP Manufacturing Infographics
Visit the NIST MEP website for Manufacturing Day resources, such as:
- The Facts about Manufacturing infographic, which contains industry, workforce and manufacturing data and statistics showing the critical role manufacturing plays in the U.S. economy. Download the PDF
- An Infographic about Manufacturing Day: Download the PDF
To request a specific size of the infographic, please send your request to [email protected].
NEW Broadband USA Schedules November and December Webinars:
The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), as part of its BroadbandUSA program, announced a series of webinars to engage the public and stakeholders with information to accelerate broadband connectivity, improve digital inclusion, strengthen policies and support local priorities. Through a notice in the September 28 FEDERAL REGISTER, NTIA provides new dates for the November 2018 and December 2018 webinars: BroadbandUSA will hold a webinar on November 14, 2018, and December 12, 2018, from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Eastern Time. NTIA will post the registration information on its BroadbandUSA website, https://broadbandusa.ntia.doc.gov/event.
- NADO 2018 Annual Training Conference(October 13- 16, 2018, Charlotte NC)
VIEW DETAILS at https://www.nado.org/events/2018-annual-training-conference/
- MBDA and National Minority Suppliers Development Council’s 2018 Conference + Business Opportunity Exchange (October 14-17, Austin TX) REGISTER ONLINE TODAY
- University Economic Development Association Summit (October 21 – 24, Milwaukee, WI) http://www.UEDAAnnualSummit.org
· NTIA Broadband Summit on October 30 (Roanoke, VA)
Notice of Virginia Broadband Summit 10/30/2018
- National League of Cities’ City Summit (November 7 -10, Los Angeles, CA) https://citysummit.nlc.org/2018-conference-workshops/
- Association of Public & Land Grant Universities’ Annual Meeting (November 11 – 13, New Orleans) http://www.aplu.org/meetings-and-events/events/2018-aplu-annual-meeting
Reports, Tools and Data
NEW Highlights Available from 2018 SelectUSA Investment Summit
The highlight videos of the 2018 SelectUSA Investment Summit are now available now online. Additionally, videos of all mainstage and breakout sessions are available to view on the Investment Summit website.
The 2019 SelectUSA Investment Summit is less than nine months away (June 10 – 12, 2019). The SelectUSA team heard participant feedback from this year’s Investment Summit and is working hard to ensure another high-quality event with actionable information for investors and economic developers alike.
Right now, the team is looking for speaker suggestions. Visit the Investment Summit website to learn more about how to submit your ideas.
NEW DOL America’s Promise Grants: New Infographic Available
The U.S. Department of Labor awarded $111 million in America’s Promise grants to 23 regional workforce partnerships in 28 states to connect more than 21,000 Americans to education and in-demand jobs.
America’s Promise grants are designed to create or expand regional workforce partnerships between employers, economic development agencies, workforce development, community colleges, training programs, post-secondary education institutions, and community-based organizations. Each grant targets middle- to high-skilled H-1B industries and occupations, and ensures that regional economies are building a competitive workforce. As the primary driver of the grant, regional workforce partnerships are creating sector-based career pathways. Rather than working in siloes, these partnerships have come together in response to employer demand to offer innovative, evidenced-based education and job training. A new infographic highlights the dimensions (targeted industries, program goals, targeted populations, and partnerships) of this important investment. See: https://h1bap.workforcegps.org/resources/2018/09/24/18/36/America-s-Promise-National-Infographic
DOL’s ETA Announces List of Labor Surplus Areas for Fiscal Year 2019
The US Department of Labor’s Employment and Training Administration has announced the annual list of labor surplus areas (LSA) for FY 2019.ETA issues the LSA list on a fiscal year basis. The national average unemployment rate (including Puerto Rico) during this period is rounded to 4.66 percent. Areas included on the FY 2019 LSA list had an unemployment rate for the reference period of 6.0 percent or higher. The FY 2019 LSA list and statistical data are available at ETA’s LSA website at http://www.doleta.gov/programs/lsa.cfm.
Department of Labor Announces Launch of Apprenticeship.gov to feature Apprenticeship Finder Tool and Other Resources
The U.S. Department of Labor announced the launch of a new digital platform, Apprenticeship.gov. Site contains the Apprenticeship Finder, a no-cost tool to employers or career seekers, is addressing a need shared by employers who are looking to promote their apprenticeship opportunities and career seekers searching to access them. Visit https://www.apprenticeship.gov/why-apprenticeship#step1 to learn more.
Disaster Recovery Resources & Info
Primary site for Disaster Recovery Assistance: https://www.disasterassistance.gov/
Where to Find Federal Disaster Declarations
- Is your home, business or community included in a federally declared emergency or disaster area? You can find the latest federal emergency and disaster declarations, as well as prior declarations for other areas, on FEMA’s disaster declarations webpage.
Existing Declarations may be subsequently amended to expand covered areas, provide notification that an incident has been closed, or make other necessary changes.
These are posted in the Federal Register here: https://www.federalregister.gov/agencies/federal-emergency-management-agency#documents
Funding Assistance for Recovery Efforts:
U.S. Department of Labor Stands Ready to Assist States Impacted by Hurricane Florence
As part of its commitment to state and local partners facing a serious impact by Hurricane Florence, the U.S. Department of Labor today announced it is ready to make available National Dislocated Worker Grant (DWG) funding to help impacted States assess their workforce needs.
South Carolina https://www.dol.gov/newsroom/releases/osec/osec20180913-0
North Carolina https://www.dol.gov/newsroom/releases/osec/osec20180913
Severe Storm and Flood Recovery Assistance: https://www.dol.gov/general/stormrecovery
Hurricane Florence: Employment, Wages, and Establishment Counts in Flood Zones
USDOL’s Bureau of Labor Statistics has maps and tables are available for areas in all of the states that may be affected by Hurricane Florence (https://www.bls.gov/cew/hurricane_zones/2018/florence/home.htm). The Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages (QCEW) program has created a set of maps and data for hurricane flood zones on the Gulf and Atlantic Coasts. Where permitted by State regulations, maps include dots indicating the location of business and government establishments. This product is the combination of geocoded BLS establishment data and flood zones created by the U.S. Corps of Engineers and State emergency management authorities. For more information, see the flood zone FAQ page.
HUD Announces Expedited Process for Review of Requests from Presidentially-Declared Major Disaster Declarations
The Department of Housing and Urban Development has published a notice (https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2018-09-12/pdf/2018-19708.pdf) announcing an expedited process for review of requests for relief from HUD regulatory and/or administrative requirements for public housing agencies (PHAs) that are located in counties that are included in Major Disaster Declarations (MDDs). PHAs located in areas covered by MDDs issued for which a related disaster occurs during 2018 may request waivers of HUD requirements and receive expedited review of such requests utilizing the flexibilities and expedited waiver process set out in the notice.
Sign Up for USDA Assistance for Agricultural Producers Affected by 2017 Hurricanes and Wildfires by Nov 16
Agricultural producers affected by hurricanes and wildfires in 2017 now may apply for assistance to help recover and rebuild their farming operations. Signup begins July 16, 2018, and continues through November 16, 2018. See: https://www.usda.gov/media/press-releases/2018/07/16/nearly-2-billion-now-available-eligible-producers-affected-2017
EDA Has Supplemental Funding Available for Areas Impacted by 2017 Hurricanes, Wildfires and Other Disasters
These grants will support disaster recovery activities in areas receiving a major disaster designation as a result of Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, Maria, and wildfires and other 2017 natural disasters. EDA plans to accept proposals on a rolling basis until all funds are obligated. Grants will be awarded on a competitive basis. See the following links for details:
- View the Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) EDA-2018-DISASTER on Grants.gov
- See EDA’s Disaster Assistance website for more info including: EDA’s Disaster Supplemental FAQ sheet and EDA Regional Office contacts.
- Read EDA’s press release for more information: U.S. Department of Commerce Announces Availability of $587 Million to Aid Communities Impacted by Natural Disasters in 2017
- For more information, please contact your regional offices
NEW Florida Launches Rebuild Florida
The Florida Department of Economic Opportunity (DEO) launched Rebuild Florida, a long-term recovery effort, which will provide $616 million to help Florida families whose homes were significantly damaged or destroyed by Hurricane Irma repair or rebuild their homes. Rebuild Florida is a program run by DEO in partnership with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). This program will connect eligible Floridians with federal disaster recovery funding, prioritizing most-impacted communities and the most vulnerable low-income individuals, including the elderly, those with disabilities and families with young children.
For those whose homes were destroyed or are still damaged, please go online to RebuildFlorida.gov or visit a Rebuild Florida center opening near you to register for assistance. Begin registration at RebuildFlorida.gov or by calling the Rebuild Florida representatives at 844-833-1010. Rebuild Florida centers will also be opening in the hardest hit counties. Eligible Florida residents have until Dec. 23 to register for the Rebuild Florida Housing Repair and Replacement Program.
Economic Recovery Support
- Read more about the Economic Recovery Support Function and the National Disaster Response Framework here: https://www.eda.gov/programs/disaster-recovery/